July is all about colourful comforts in the garden and enjoying the hearty harvest winter has to offer. Keep your beds looking lush with a sensational selection of flowers available from your GCA Garden Centre. Don’t forget your July maintenance to help your garden stay in top shape and ready for the last cold stretch. Enjoy the journey with your landscape and take some time to appreciate the remarkable changes of Mother Nature.
Beat the winter blues
- Surround yourself with colourful comforts available at nurseries now: primose, alyssum/lobularia, violas, pansies, verbena, Primula malacoides, Primula obconica, Primula acaulis, and ornamental kale.
- Robust succulents: Aloe Hedgehog, aloe Ferrox, and aloe Speciosa.
- Gems: Krantz aloe, Basuto kraal aloe, nandina, viburnum, camellia, holly and Elaeagnus.
- Indoor babies: Move indoor plants to warmer parts of the house if needed. Also check that your plants are getting enough light.
A flying reminder: Help the birds out and ensure your birdbath and bird feeder is well-stocked. Food is scarce for the flyers during the winter months.
- Garden centre treasures: Fig, olive, grape, cherry, peach, plum, and apple trees are available at GCA Garden Centres from July.
- Harvest now: Horseradish, asparagus, celeriac, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and waterblommetjies.
- Split & divide: Divide your asparagus and rhubarb now for a larger yield and remember to mulch well after transplanting.
- Support: Stake broad beans and Brussels sprouts to give them more support and increase growth.
- Feed: Remember to feed your winter veg seedlings with nutritious fertilisers and compost. Also, feed your spring bulbs and clivias now.
- Mulch up: Much beds well to retain warmth and moisture.
- Water down: Be careful of overwatering during winter every 3rd day should be sufficient.
Top tip: Use bird netting or frost cover sheets to deter birds while also allowing light and air into the veggie garden.