Eco-Warriors: Love them Lizards
Have no fear! Lizards are friends to the garden bringing gifts of goodwill with them. Welcome these eco-warriors into your eco-system and enjoy less pests, more life, and a healthier environment.
Lizards are lovely because…
- They eat other goggas we don’t really like such as slugs, mozzies and ants.
- These guys are completely harmless to humans and will not attack you or become a man-eating reptile (incase your nerves are a little fried from watching Godzilla).
- Some do occasionally munch on leaves, but very small amounts that go unnoticed.
- They are also food for larger predators such as owls (who we also love, bonus!).
- Lizards serve as living barometers and are excellent indicators of your garden’s health. Their presence indicates low levels of pollutants, pesticides, and heavy metals in the garden – isn’t that grand!
Attract lizards by…
- Avoiding chemical pesticides and weed killers – these affect not only lizards, but impact the entire food chain (serious stuff, gardeners).
- Mulching up your beds to give them an insulated, snug spot to spoon at night.
- Providing hiding places like big rocks, small rocks, piles of rocks, broken rocks – pretty much rocks in all forms, and bushes too.
- Speaking of rocks, larger rocks make for the perfect sunbathing beds, as well as any brick or concrete platform.
- Providing a freshwater source, which they can access, such as a pond or water feature. Better yet, make your own lizard watering hole by placing a bowl near their favourite hot spot (don’t forget to give them a way in and out).
Warm up to these reptiles and they’ll reward your garden, gracefully! They are mostly out of sight, busy minding their own business. And lucky for us, their business is bugs.