“Plantong” – It’s Biltong for Vegans
Often referred to as the king of vegetables, eggplants are a hearty vegetable that does not only boast a delicious taste but are packed with health benefits from providing antioxidants to promoting blood sugar control. Here is an eggplant recipe to add to your snack platter.
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- `/4 Cup Apple Juice
…okay so it’s not truly raw
For 100% raw:
- Replace the soy sauce with 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Replace the brown sugar with 2 tablespoons Raw Agave
- Skip liquid smoke (you won’t get that smokey flavour that is oh so good though)
We prefer buying a skinnier, purple eggplant type of variety – like the Long Purple eggplant. But if you have a regular old fat dude (Diamond or Black Beauty), don’t worry, slice him in half, and then slice the half into long thin bacon-like slices.
Remove and discard the green top. Then very thinly and evenly slice into bacon-like strips. A mandoline slicer would be great if you have one!
Mix up your marinade in a large bowl and toss the eggplant in, to coat.
Let it soak for around 30 minutes.
Layout the slices on your dehydrator sheets, making sure the slices don’t touch or overlap.
Dehydrate overnight, or around 12-20 hours. The longer you dehydrate it, the crispier, it gets.
* store in sealed container in fridge *