Reuse and recycle your old t-shirts – hanging planter DIY
Everyone has old t-shirts lying around that are too far gone to be donated and it seems such a shame to simply throw them out. With this fun hanging planter DIY project, you’ll never need to throw out old t-shirts again.
Repurposing your old t-shirts into a simple, yet trendy plant hanger is a great way to display indoor plants and add a splash of colour to a room. This is an awesome DIY project for teens to do themselves, to create funky decor for their rooms, or even to give as gifts.
Let’s get creative:
- The first step it to take your t-shirt and fold it in half, lengthways.
- Next, use your ruler and pen to make a marking just below the sleeves and cut that section off - you won’t be needing it.
- Keeping your t-shirt folded, measure eight equal strips along the side. Once they have all been measured, cut these strips.
- After you have cut all the strips, unfold the t-shirt and cut one hemmed side of each strip. This will make eight long strips of fabric.
- Gather all your strips and knot them together at one end to create the bottom of your plant hanger.
- Lay your strips flat on the table and split them into four pairs. Make a knot in each pair near the top where the first knot is. Take care with the positioning of each knot to ensure they are all on the same level when hanging.
- Again, lay the material flat on the table and spread out the knotted pairs. Take one strip from one pair and another strip from another pair and knot them together, a bit lower down from the second knot. Do this until all the pairs have been knotted, bringing the last pair to the front.
- Repeat step seven until you have sufficient material left at the bottom to tie into one big knot - this is the knot you will hang your planter from.
- Now that your plant hanger is complete, the final step is to place your plant into a pot and position it into your planter. Your planter is now ready to hang anywhere you wish.