Shrubs for small gardens
- Abelia grandiflora with plain green leaves or variegated ‘Francis Mason’ have arching stems and tiny white bell-shaped flowers. Concealing parts of a garden with evergreen shrubs can make a small garden appear larger.
- Wild pomegranate (Burchellia bubaline) has glossy green leaves and clusters of bright orange tubular flowers loved by sunbirds.
- Mexican orange blossom (Choisya ternata) bears glossy green, fragrant foliage and scented white flowers in spring.
- Kingfisher daisy (Felicia amelloides) is a small shrub with blue daisy-like flowers throughout the year that is ideal for mass planting.
- Freylinia tropica has an upright growth habit and small leaves. Delicate white or mauve flowers attract butterflies.
- Sacred bamboo (Nandina domestica) and the dwarf cultivar ‘Pygmaea’ have bamboo-like stems and fern-like leaves that assume red shades in winter.
- Mickey Mouse bush (Ochna serrulata)has bright yellow flowers and colourful new spring growth that changes to glossy green. Flowers are followed by red calyxes holding black fruits that resemble a Mickey Mouse face.
- Polygala fruticosa is a small rounded shrub that bears purple-pink flowers in summer. Butterflies love the flowers.
- Australian rosemary (Westringia fruticosa) is an extremely hardy shrub with needle-like grey-green leaves and tiny flowers.