A fairy good idea!
Create a fairy garden in a wooden wheelbarrow!
What you will need
- An old wooden wheelbarrow
- Weed barrier cloth
- Potting soil
- An old plastic container or bowl
- An old spoon or cup
- Some small plants
- Ornamental fairies and other fairy garden decor (we used a mushroom and a small decorative potjie pot). Use whatever decorations you choose.
- Small, white decorative stones
- Smaller, dark stones
- Small solar lights (optional)
Steps of the activity:
Start by cutting the weed barrier cloth to the size of the wheelbarrow, to fit perfectly inside.
Mix equal amounts of potting soil and compost in the container and pour it into the wheelbarrow, leaving about a 4cm space for the plants and fairies.
Place the mushroom in the soil and create the border of the pathway to the potjie pot with the white stones, placing the darker small stones in the centre of the white stones, to create a ‘pathway’. Remember, you can use whatever garden decor you choose here, so your garden will vary according to what you choose.
Place the plants in the garden, ensuring that each plant’s roots are covered.
The fairies can then be placed around the garden and the leftover stones poured over the soil as groundcover.
Choose the perfect spot in the garden and place your new and improved wheelbarrow for all to see!