How to Garden With Colourful Foliage
How to garden with colourful foliage
– provides an architectural element.
– defines contours in a garden
Gardens are already pretty green, so play with the foliage. Look out for:
– colourful leaves
– different textures
– distinct patterns
– distinct shapes
Use annuals like coleus and hypoestes to brighten up shady areas.
Garden bed tip: Use bigger or taller varieties at the back, mounding plants in front of those, and low-growing or spreading plants right at the front.
Container tip: Plant a large focal piece in the middle, surrounded with something mounding, and then have a trailing element on the edge, so it can spill over the pot.
– Plant grasses to form the backbone / spine of your garden beds. Then plant other annuals around them to change the look and “re-decorate” in the different seasons
– Ornamental grasses add structure to garden beds
– Annual foliage like Coleus is fantastic in the garden – brightening borders and adding texture to mixed containers.
– Use lavender or spinach as edible foliage
Visit lifeisagarden.co.za for more!