A Very Merry DIY: Festive Ornaments for Your Tree
The holiday season is here, and it’s time for fun, festivities and lots of crafts.
Keep the kids busy and laughing with a little happy activity. It’s the season of cheer, after all, so add a little to your trees with this easy peasy bird seed ornament DIY. The kids will love getting their hands dirty, the trees will look peppy, the birds will chirp happily, and they make great festive gifts too. Let’s make it a December to remember.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ½ tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 3 tbsp. golden syrup
- A whisk
- 4 cups birdseed
- Molds (muffin tin, cookie cutters, etc.)
- Baking tray
- Nonstick spray
- Drinking straws
- Waxed paper
Let’s get creative:
- First, get your little ones to mix the flour, water, gelatin and syrup together in a large mixing bowl - using the whisk to stir. Stir until was well-combined.
- Add the birdseed to the mixture, and stir until completely coated.
- Kiddies, put your gloves on now!
- Place the wax paper on the baking tray and spray with nonstick spray. Spray the molds after.
- Lay handfuls of the mixture on the wax paper, flattening them out and then placing the molds over each merry mound of mixture.
- Poke a hole through top of each birdseed mold using drinking straws. Make sure the hole has gone through all the way, to make it easy for you to thread your ribbon or twine.
- Leave them to dry while you get a good night’s sleep.
- The next day, remove the straws.
- Adults, we may need your skills here. Help your kids cut the ribbon and thread it through the hole. Tie knots in the ribbon so that the ornaments can hang on a tree.
- It’s time to decorate! Hang up these festive ornaments in a tree and watch as the birds enjoy them.